|Before: in fairly rough condition|
To start I clipped away any loose material on the case. I then sanded the entire exterior with sandpaper. The goal was the scuff up the surface. I wiped it down with a damp rag and let it air dry. I then sealed all the edges and any areas where the original material was remove with a bit of mod podge. To keep the black surface from coming through my paper I painted the exterior with a white paint. This paint was quite cheap and is actually called "economy paint". I didn't care about the painted end results as I knew it would be covered with paper.
|ready to decoupage|
|decoupaging: lots of layers|
|drying after a long day of gluing papers on to the surface|
As some of my pieces went over the hinge area I had to use a razor blade to cut it open again. I had allowed it to dry. I think it would have been easier to do this when the papers were wet. After that I placed the case in a warm dry area with the lid open to dry
|adding the final finish coats|
My last step was to coat the entire case with Polycrylic in a satin finish. I used 3 light layers carefully brushed on. Some people will actually do more layers and sand some down every so often until they get a smooth surface. I didn't think that would really matter.
Now it is ready for use. I really like how it turned out.